Saturday, March 28, 2015

Remembering LKY

I haven't blogged in a very long while.

But I guess I have too much thoughts this week that I feel like I need to put it down somewhere. 

Singapore's first Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew, passed away on Monday. I've learned so much about him in the last 5 days than I have in the 10+ years in school. I took history in both Secondary School and Junior College but I've always seen Mr. Lee as just another political figure in the text book. What the textbooks depict were mostly on nation building and independence. Lee Kuan Yew and Singapore were synonymous. But this week, I realised that the textbooks only scratched the surface of who he really was and the contributions he have made to this country. 

I never knew that Mr. Lee had a huge impact on many countries. I never knew that big figures around the world sought Mr. Lee's wise counsel. I never knew that Mr. Lee could be such a loving husband to his wife. I am simply too ignorant to understand what it really means when people say that Mr. Lee is Singapore's "founding father". 

For me, there is just so many things to be thankful for. 

Because of Mr. Lee's vision, I do not have to worry about being persecuted for my faith.
I do not have to worry about corruption, nor high crime rates, nor polluted water.
I can drink straight from my tap!
I have a shelter over my head.
I can speak at least two languages. (more, if you count dialect)
I have easy access to education.
I am protected as a woman. 
I can choose my government. 
 

I don't think I've ever seen Singapore so united before. It's heartening to see the government supporting Singaporeans as they queue overnight to pay their respects to Mr. Lee, be it through extending the hours of operation for public transport or just being there to speak to the people in the wee hours of the morning. It's also very heartwarming to see the giving spirit in many Singaporeans. I read about random people from all walks of life coming together to volunteer - be it in the giving out of food/drinks/umbrella to people who were queuing at the Padang. Let's also not forget the people at tribute sites.

It's been a sad week for Singapore, mourning her loss of Mr. Lee. But from how I see it, this might be a blessing in disguise. I'm sure many Singaporeans now have a greater knowledge of Mr. Lee and his contributions, but what would this knowledge do?  I hope that this knowledge translates into a greater appreciation for this country. I hope that there are more who feel proud to be Singaporeans. I hope that Singaporeans will continue to have this giving spirit, not just in moments of crisis. 
 
To end off, I quote a poem from Robert Burns (he wrote Auld Lang Syne too)

An honest man here lies at rest
As e'er God with his image blest.
The friend of man, the friend of truth;
The friend of Age, and guide of Youth:
Few hearts like his with virtue warm'd,
Few heads with knowledge so inform'd:
If there's another world, he lives in bliss;
If there is none, he made the best of this.

No comments: