Thursday, August 30, 2007

Just reliving some childhood memories =D

Yes, I played these kinda toys when I was a kid. I had a wonderful childhood and I loved my childhood playing police story (though nobody else in the family played it with me).
The only thing my sister fully cooperated with me in games are the stupid ones like "Poor thing" (where we acted as poor peasants, getting 'milk' from the tree everyday), "Teacher" (where she ALWAYS insist on being the teacher. Well she will be living her dream in a couple of year's time), "Doctor" (where our soft-toys will be lined up in neat rows waiting to see the doctor). Hah, I love my childhood. I didn't need Barbie dolls to make my childhood life a better one. In fact, I didn't really like them. Polly Pocket was still alright. My other favourite toys were LEGO(!), construction set (where they give u a hammer and screws), and doctor set. Ahh..if only I could be a kid again, then I wouldn't have to think about Heart of Darkness, Chaucer, and some other profound literature stuff.

Literature tutorial was interestingly mind-boggling. We were asked to read Chaucer's General Prologue which was in MIDDLE ENGLISH (not present day english). Mind you, it's not even Shakespearean English with the thees and the thous. Seriously I don't even know which era it came from. Here's the first 12 lines that I have to MEMORISE by next week.


FROM THE CANTERBURY TALES
The General Prologue

Whan that April with his showres soote
The droughte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veine in swich licour,
Of which vertu in engendred is the flowr;
When Zephyrus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale fowles maken melodye
That sleepen al the night with open yƫ -
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages -
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,


It's kinda cool learning how to speak Middle English though.
Sometimes I feel a sense of regret taking up this Major.
Sometimes, however, I feel proud that I'm called an English Major.
TTFN~!

No comments: